Tuesday, December 16, 2008

'I was still holding my grandson's hand --

-- the rest of him was gone'

'We were walking, I was holding my grandson's hand, then there was a loud noise and everything went white. When I opened my eyes, everybody was screaming. I was lying metres from where I had been, I was still holding my grandson's hand but the rest of him was gone. I looked around and saw pieces of bodies everywhere."...

As the situation deteriorates across the country, the killing of civilians is seen as a final affront in a litany of mistakes by the foreign forces in Afghanistan... The routine denials and hands-off attitude are contributing to a growing sense among Afghans that their lives are cheap in the eyes of the foreigners... 'We know they don't intend to kill the civilians but we don't believe they care enough not to,' said Ahmad Zia, a jeweller in Kabul's busy bazaar. 'If it continues we will see a lot more people joining the fight against the foreigners. It's inevitable.' ...

Mullah Zubiallah Akhond, a Taliban commander in Oruzgan province, says the attacks are sending recruits his way daily... 'When an American vehicle is blown up every day on the main road in Wardak, the order is not coming from the Taliban leadership. It is the people themselves who have turned against the foreigners.' ...

Shukira Barakzai, a female MP: 'These feeling stem from the actions and military operations of the foreign troops. The anti-western sentiment is directly because of the military actions, the civilian casualties, and the lack of respect by foreign troops for Afghan culture.'

Image source here.