Sunday, January 2, 2011

Quote for the day

You Won't Be the Same Person
When You Wake Up Next Year
Sunny Biswas, at The Awl: It turns out that in a couple of parts of the brain, neural stem cells are constantly giving birth to new neurons that travel around and plug into already existing networks. Sometimes they're replacing dying neurons and sometimes they're just helping a part of the brain grow... There's a body of recent literature that suggests that this is how adults form new memories...

I read about neural stem cells and think about how different I am from even a few years ago, and I get the weird feeling that I was right when I was little, that I'm the most recent in a long line of not very good impersonators of myself. Science (science!) confirms that parts of me are here now that weren't there even a little while ago (and that parts of me that were there before are gone forever). In other words: one night someone else went to sleep and woke up as me.